The under-eye area is one of my favorite places to treat with filler. That said, it is also a high risk area. There are important blood vessels in this space that, if blocked, can lead to vision changes or even blindness. That is why it is so crucial to have this area injected by an expert.
As a facial plastic surgeon, I work around the eyes very frequently and have intimate knowledge of the anatomy in the region. Safety is always the utmost priority in these cases.
To decrease the risk in this area, I follow certain rules:
- I always use a hyaluronic acid filler. HA filler is dissolvable, so if there’s any concern whatsoever during the time of injection, I know I can dissolve the product immediately.
- I favor a cannula in this area. For those of you who aren’t familiar, a cannula is a blunt tip instrument that is used in place of a needle. Although there is no strong evidence that this is safer than a needle, in my head it’s hard not to believe that there is less risk using a blunt instrument. In addition, I find I often get less bruising and the experience is more comfortable for my patients.
- I always aspirate prior to injection, even with a cannula.
- I always under-correct in this area. Over-filling not only leads to puffiness and worsening of appearance, but also increases the risk of a blocking a vessel.
- I perform vision tests before and after injections.
- Lastly, I never inject anyone who is not a good candidate for this procedure. If I feel like you are beyond the point where filler is the solution, I will recommend surgery instead.
When done properly and safely, the subtle correction of the under-eye area provides a refreshed look. My patients often tell me that they no longer rely on makeup to hide their dark circles. It’s an extremely satisfying procedure and can be done in just about 15 minutes.
The results last between 6 to 9 months depending on the product used. Typically there is mild swelling that resolves over the course of 1 week.
To see me as a patient at either my Palo Alto, San Mateo, or Menlo Park location, call 650.847.1466 or contact us .